CBRM Councillor District 4
Coxheath - Edwardsville - Sydney River - Westmount
For the past 14 years, I have lived on Glenn Ave in Sydney River with my wife Wendy Clarke, who grew up in Cantley Village, and my son Jack, who attends Riverview Rural High School.
My father Gordon and my mother, the late Iris (MacGillivary) Gillespie taught me to work hard, live by the golden rule, and "Do all the good you can, for all the people you can, in all the ways you can, for as long as you can" (as best said by Hillary Clinton).
I am employed with CJCB / theWAVE94.9 / MAX98.3 Radio since 1989 and love my job. My career has allowed me the opportunity to be involved in our community and to work closely with many groups, societies and organizations to help promote themselves and their causes. As well in my day to day dealings with the local small business community I hear the frustration from them about unfair taxation, decreasing services and the "Red Tape" they face when they want to expand or build.
· Island Alternative Measures Society youth counselor, 4 years
· Silicon Island Art and Innovation Center Board of Directors, 4 years.
· Fair-Airfare for Sydney Committee, 1 year.
· Sydney Academy School Advisory Council Member/Chair, 4 years.
· Sydney Kiwanis Club Distinguished Past President and Board member, 20 years.
· Kiwanis Pool Committee Chair, 4 years.
· Sydney Academy KEY CLUB youth volunteer advisor, 8 years.
· IWK/Regional Hospital Pediatric Cardiac Clinic Committee Chair, 5 years.
· MADD Cape Breton Chapter President, 4 years.
· Salvation Army Clothe-A-Family project creator.
· Salvation Army Christmas Kettles participant, 30 years.
· Golf for Dad (prostate cancer fundraiser) Steering Committee Member, 8 years.
· Cape Breton Auto Show Society Steering Committee Member, 5 years.
·Recipient of the first ever Cape Breton United Way Harvey Webber Memorial “Citizen of the Year" Award.
·Recipient Sydney Kiwanis Club two time 'Kiwanian of the Year'.
·Recipient Sydney Kiwanis Club of Sydney Mel Osbourne Fellowship award.